We’re looking for someone who loves building data-driven products to join us as a Software Developer at Echosec. We’re a growing team of six developers who value an entrepreneurial, customer-first approach to building data discovery tools.
You will be responsible for developing and maintaining features and data-sets for the Echosec open data search and aggregation products.
Echosec Search is a search and alerting tool for location-based social media. We provide an easy to use interface for open data analysists, security experts, journalists to find up to date crowdsourced information about real-world events.
Beacon sheds light on the dark web by combining indexes of TOR sites, paste-bin dumps, public discord and telegram chat logs into an advanced search interface for cybersecurity professionals.
Your work will range from writing front-end display code for visualization to adapting data for machine learning based classification and reporting. The team you’ll be working with focuses on working iteratively to deliver value to customers instead of just developing features and functions.
Your responsibilities would include
- Develop robust component based front-end interfaces in a moden JS framework.
- Participate in timely and constructive code review.
- Work with the Product Manager, and Technical Lead to define and scope tasks.
- Learn new skills in frameworks and cloud services by sharing blogs, and attending meetups / conferences.
- Grow the development team’s competencies.
- Are self starting.
- Have great interpersonal communication skills.
- Are comfortable working with remote team-mates.
- Love investigating and learning new APIs, services, and tools.
- Have a working knowledge developing in scalable, event-driven systems.
- Have experience profiling applications or tracking down performance problems.
- You provide constructive and helpful feedback to team members on code review and support the team in releasing high quality code on schedule.
Not required but an asset…
- You are comfortable with SVG and CSS3 concepts including flexbox and animations.
- You have experience developing on scalable event-driven systems, for example: Redis pub-sub, Amazon SQS/SNS, Akka, Storm.
- You are proficient developing web servers using route driven, MVC frameworks (eg: Laravel, Ruby on Rails, Play).
- Experience working with a Linux-Nginx-Postgres-PHP stack.
- Experience with data analysis.
- An understanding of Docker. We use Docker for our dev boxes and production deployments.
This position is available for:
- Echosec HQ – Victoria, BC, Canada
- Echosec UK – Cardiff, Wales
For Echosec UK or remote candidates, expect occasional travel to Echosec HQ
We provide a new way to search, view, and share social media based on location. Our product is used around the world by public safety organizations, private security companies, journalists, and activists to find people and posts on Twitter, Reddit, Flickr, VK, and anything else we can think of searching.
What We Offer
- Competitive salary and stock option plan
- Travel opportunities – want to visit our clients around the globe?
- A healthy, balanced breakfast
- Health benefits (prescription, para-medical, travel, dental, vision – Canadian Full-Time Employees Only)
- An energetic working environment with a collaborative open office and access to a roof-top patio
- Our team also understands that working from home is often the best way to get things done
- Flexible work hours
- We encourage project ownership, creating and iterating on new ideas, and making positive change in the community
How We Work
We are a small organization. We look for individuals who are highly motivated, able to manage their own schedule effectively, but still proactively support and collaborate with the rest of the team. The following are qualities we all strive to achieve (and help each other achieve) every day:
- Strong business acumen – ability to combine experience, knowledge, perspective, and awareness to make sound business decisions
- Relentlessly driven, self-motivated, and goal-oriented
- Proactive – you are a self-starter and thrive off of autonomy
- Personable – you are empathetic, a great listener, and can establish rapport quickly and candidly and have a consultative sales mindset
- Integral – you are professional and ethical at all times
- Coachable – open to receiving and incorporating feedback
We’d love to hear from you. You can send us your information by filling out the form on the bottom of this page. Or, if you have any questions, contact us at email@example.com
This posting is for the Victoria, BC, Canada office